Sunday, October 13, 2013

Monster Birthday Party

I started planning my Son's 2nd birthday way in advance because thanks to Pinterest I have so many fun ideas to make/bake/create. I am trying to stick to a budget for his party but make it really fun. I decided upon a monster theme, not scary monster, but super cute little monsters. I have been scouring the internet for free monster clip art or something cute little monster for his invitation (since that is where the party should start). I'm going back and forth between making his invitations or having some printed. Pinterest has lots of options thankfully so hopefully I can figure something out soon since its just a few weeks out.
First thing needed is invitations. Wishing Tree Designs had a great sale going on so I was able to order his invites online for less than $1 each and they turned out great!



Next is part of the party decor/party favor. I saw on Oriental Trading and on Pinterest this idea for plush monsters for "adopt a monster" as party favors, plus they look super cute around the party. However, I was trying to stick to a budget so I decided I'd sew! I borrowed a friend's sewing machine to help me out, however much was done by hand. I found a few monster plush's that I liked and cut out patterns similar, some monsters needed some customization to look more like monsters than amoebas. A trip to JoAnns Fabrics and I picked up some felt for the eyes and fangs and chose 3 colors of flannel to do the monsters in. After a couple weeks of sewing during nap time and in the evenings, since sewing with a toddler awake seemed like a troublesome idea, I ended up with 24 cute stuffed little monsters that cost me about $10 to make. They are so adorable and I can't wait to have them at the party!
I covered play dough containers with construction paper and made little monster faces. 

We also have Mini monster beach balls, monster stickers and fruit gummies to finish off the goody bags.

A requirement for each year is the birthday shirt. This year we had some issues getting it, but once it finally came all the stress was worth it. 

And although my big dreams with lots of cake pops didn't happen, his cake turned out great. Its a 3 layer fun-fetti cake. I used leaf green gel tint added to regular vanilla frosting and piped it on with a star tip. His eye is a cake pop covered in white chocolate, fangs are also white chocolate. His mouth was melted semi-sweet chocolate chips, his pupil was also done with the chocolate chips. I broke his mouth a little bit on the left side, but used a fang to cover it up and no one even noticed, besides myself of course. 



We also had a fun Monster Melon! Start carving the mouth like you would a pumpkin. Once you are able to remove the mouth area, I used a melon baller to get out all the melon I could. Then I started filling the melon with a mix of watermelon, cutie segments, grapes, blue berries, strawberries and fresh pineapple. I used the ends of a banana (gave the middle to my son to have as a snack) and used toothpicks to stick them on top of the melon. 


Here was my Pinterest fail. I did this jug idea with the drink mix (not my picture). I added the powdered lemonade but after putting the spout back on (it just popped on and off) I could not get the jug to stop leaking. So I ended up just setting out several glasses of lemonade that I had poured and the jug had to sit in the sink. We had juice boxes for all the kids so they didn't even care much about my great lemonade attempt. 

We also served a veggie tray (included cucumber, carrots, broccoli, and cherry tomatoes), a meat/cheese/cracker tray, munchies (since my son loves Cheetos) and a main dish of chicken nuggets and tater tots. In the living room we had the slide, the pop-up tent with tubes filled with ball pit balls. The dining room was the center of food and presents along with decorations. In the dining room we had streamers to each corner with balloons at the corner. The sliding door had the banner of balloons above it. Then the ceiling had spirals and monster cutouts (from hobby lobby).
After food, cake and ice cream we took the kids out to run around at the playground out front. We also pulled out the bubble machine. Being the party was for a two year old we figured most party games would be a bit much and stuck with ball pit tent and a bubble machine as the fun events at the party. The party lasted for about 2 1/2 hours, but most the the kids were more than done at that point. Although everything wasn't exactly as I planned it went great and I can't wait till next year!






No comments:

Post a Comment