Friday, October 18, 2013

Lil man's Alphabet

For my birthday last year I decided to do a big craft for my son's bedroom wall. I had fallen in love with some ideas off Pinterest about wooden alphabet letters so I made a plan and went for it. I found on Etsy Alphabet Boutique 123 wooden letters with different styles for each letter and they were all ready to be painted. So I ordered these:

I then headed over to Michaels Crafts (2nd favorite craft store, Hobby Lobby is just too awesome) and found a variety of acrylic paints. Rather than the typical rainbow I wanted more masculine colors that would fit with the colors I had in his room (Earthy, "pond themed' colors). Then every night and some nap times too I would paint a couple letters. They all took 2 coats and then a coat of varnish so it was a lot of painting since there were was so many different colors, lots of cleaning brushes to switch colors. Finally I finished them all and was able to hang them up which gave me this:
I did take my time hanging them, I used a level to keep them straight and marked the middle of the wall to work out so that I could keep each row centered. I am so happy that is how they turned out. I love finding crafts that I can show my creativity and enjoy making without feeling self-conscious. Although my son is only two when I had to take these down when we moved he was very upset, however the excitement when I rehung them in our new home was wonderful to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment